IN PERSON SESSIONS
Now offering in person sessions on Tuesdays and Saturdays at Tonume Integrated Health
Tonume is located at 2655 Commercial Drive in Vancouver a few blocks from Commercial-Broadway Station and offers free parking.
Our business is also available online.
We work via Zoom in the comfort of your own home to improve your movement and help you get back to your active life. We assure your privacy, confidentiality and personal safety.
What it involves:
- fill out intake forms
- send videos of particular movements
- send photos of posture
- an internet connection and Zoom app download
- a small space, a flat wall and a chair
- e-transfer (in Canada) or PayPal account for payment
Before booking with me I would like to set expectations with complete transparency! I do not “fix” you; rather, we, working together as an extremely interactive and collaborative team, figure out how you can help yourself. In the spirit of “give a person a fish and they eat fish for a day, teach a person to fish and they eat fish for a lifetime”, I want to teach you how to fish — i.e. take care of your own body. In short, the focus of my practice is self-care via education and awareness.
Please expect some homework. I will be providing you with exercises to work on in your own time and progress what we’ve been doing in session. Change takes time. I won’t guarantee that you’ll be back to your active life after one session. Every body takes the time that it takes.
What to expect:
- A thorough analysis of your injury history. You’d be amazed how, for example, that left ankle sprain when you were a child might impact your right shoulder today!
- A full body analysis of available joint motions and preferences (e.g. your ribcage really likes to rotate right, but it never rotates left), as well as static holding patterns (i.e. posture). This assessment includes the 33 joints in each foot — a quarter of all the joints in your body are in your feet!!! The joints in your feet have a huge impact all the way up the chain to your knees, hips, pelvis, back, shoulders, neck, and jaw!!!
- Gait (AKA walking) analysis. I will analyze a video of you walking using an app which allows me to assess your patterns and preferences (e.g. your pelvis really likes to rotate right, but never left). Why gait? Gait is a universal repetitive human movement that involves every joint in your body in all three dimensions of movement (a mouthful of a sentence…you might want to re-read it!). Even a sedentary person takes 2000-3000 steps a day — imagine how many times an active person is repeating the gait cycle (from heel strike to heel strike). In other words, thousands of times per day you are reinforcing those movement biases/asymmetries. If a movement bias/asymmetry shows up in your gait, it almost definitely shows up in all your activities (e.g. picking up a baby, sports, gardening, etc.). This analysis will be integral to designing a corrective exercise program individual to your movement patterns (preferences, asymmetries, etc.)
- Restored breathing mechanics, and ribcage movement. Every single one of my clients has a deficiency in their breathing and ribcage movement. It’s astounding how a change in how you breathe and bend your spine and move your ribcage can open up movements in your legs and feet and improve your energy, mood and sleep.
- An education about joint biomechanics and anatomy. We spend a lot of time talking about why your body is and isn’t moving efficiently and what that means for how you’re feeling today. I am a firm believer that the more you understand about what is happening under the surface, the better you will be able to help yourself. Beyond enhanced self-care, this knowledge will empower you to be a more informed consumer of the healthcare system in general.
- An individualized home program reflecting your movement analysis. You will learn not just what to do, and how to do it, but most importantly, you will understand the “why” (see above item about education). We will design a program that realistically fits within the time constraints of your lifestyle. Please expect to commit to an absolute minimum of 10 minutes 4-5 times per week.
- A plan! At the end of the session, I will recommend a course of action moving forward. On very rare occasions, clients experience enough improvement after the intake session, that follow-ups are not necessary. This is the exception, not the rule. In any case, working with me is very finite! In my experience and that of my colleagues, 5 sessions are required to resolve one particular issue. Some people come in with a single issue, and some come in with what I fondly think of as a “laundry list” — e.g. my left shoulder, my right knee, my low back. In most cases, these conditions didn’t happen over night, and they usually do not resolve overnight (although sometimes we get lucky!): “Healing is a process, not an event.” There is a progression in your home exercise program; the initial program is creating a foundation upon which we build over time. Typically, we start working on individual joint motions culminating in full body integration exercises.
- Thorough support post-session: Availability to communicate between sessions to answer questions and check your form. In fact, I encourage inter-session communication — I consider working with my clients a collaboration!!! Analysis of new gait/movement videos as your movement evolves. Planning!! (see item 6 above).
This approach empowers you to own
and actively participate in your own healing process!!!
If this resonates with you, please get in touch!